Due to the changes in lifestyle and eating habits, metabolic disorders have become quite common nowadays. And with the development of medical science, there are some new ways to treat these health issues. However, there are different types of surgeries to treat different health issues. Metabolic and bariatric surgery are two of them. Although the process of Metabolic Surgery and Bariatric Surgery is similar, where the body fat operated out of the body. But they are very different from each other.
In this article, you will read about how metabolic surgery is different from bariatric surgery.
Difference between Metabolic Surgery and Bariatric Surgery
Metabolic surgery works on the metabolism and hormonal components. It treats chronic medical conditions, including diabetes, hypertension, hyperlipidemia, and many more such hormones related to health issues.
Bariatric surgery involves changes in gastrointestinal anatomy. It reduces the volume of the stomach, or the absorbing capacity of the intestine, or both, which initiates the physiological changes to allow in the body, which makes significant weight loss in the case of obese patients.
Weight loss surgery, like Bariatric surgery, has been a part of the general surgery that has been associated with the public in the very long run. It is considered to be a specialty of the general surgery in which it alters the volume of the stomach and also limits the gastric limit.
However, metabolic surgery goes much beyond that. It is known to make metabolic changes in the body to treat chronic diseases and so is considered to be a step ahead in terms of scientific surgery. It can perform on someone with a Body Mass Index (BMI) between 28 to 30.
However, Bariatric surgery can perform on someone with a BMI of 40 or more.
Advantages of Metabolic Surgery
- Metabolic surgery is not only useful to treat metabolic disorders, but it also improves the esthetics, increasing the follow-up and, therefore, the increase in success rate.
- The surgery can have an immediate effect on controlling the high blood pressure levels and cholesterol.
Advantages of Bariatric Surgery
- Bariatric Surgery decreases the chance of premature death due to obesity, by treating morbid obesity.
- Apart from treating obesity, this surgery also takes care of other obesity-related issues like heart disease, cancer, and joint problems.
- These surgeries have certain risks and complications that might occur either during or after the surgery
- Both these surgeries demand recovery time, which means staying away from work
- The success of these surgeries varies from person to person
- The chances of reversing these surgical procedures are very rare
- These surgeries have long term effects that may not be desirable, due to the changes in the stomach size and digestive system
Both, metabolic surgery and Bariatric surgery are definitely useful to treat metabolism-related or morbid obesity-related health issues. But one should look into all the factors, for example, which surgery is required, it’s side effects, etc. because these weight loss surgeries have a lifelong impact both physically and psychologically.